The NICU journey can be an overwhelming experience for parents and sometimes having a relationship with a peer who is intimately familiar with the path you are walking can provide the hope that you need.
Request a Mentor
To request a mentor Download our Mentoring Match Form or fill out the contact form below. If you are interested in becoming NICU Helping Hands Mentor, please click here for more information.
What Mentoring IS:
- The mentoring experience is designed to provide current NICU families or bereaved families with a helpful resource who can provide support in challenging times, share their own NICU or loss experience, or assist families in identifying community resources and support.
- NICU Helping Hands has seen time and time again the power of a friend in the midst of the NICU or loss experience…especially a friend who has been through the journey themselves. Our mentors are available to be a friend, a supporter, an encourager, or an advocate during this journey.
- Our mentor program is one of the many resources available through NICU Helping Hands. Mentors can help point you towards NICU Mom CONNECT activities, support groups, activities for dads and much more.
What Mentoring IS NOT:
- Mentors are not intended to be your source of medical information. Our mentors are not a replacement for your baby’s medical team. They can share their own experiences and how they handled the emotional challenges of their own medical crises but they aren’t a substitute for your baby’s doctor. NICU Helping Hands encourages families to follow up with their baby’s doctor, nurse or other healthcare provider for answers to medical questions.
- A mentor is not a mental health professional but they may encourage you to speak with a professional if necessary. NICU Helping Hands’ staff members and your mentor have access to resources that can assist you with anxiety, grief, stress, depression and other feelings you may be experiencing.
- Requesting a mentor does not commit you to the relationship forever and you are free to end your mentoring experience at any time. Reassignment to a new mentor is also available upon request.